Wednesday 26 October 2011

Questions about changing surname legally while I'm in College?

Right now I'm in my second year of College at Wake Technical Community College to get my A.A. Degree to transfer out to NCSU. I've wanted to change my surname now since I was a child, so I think it is near time. I want to change once I'm accepted into NC State so there is no problems while I'm registering. To be honest, at one point I was thinking about changing my entire name, but not only would I think that would be a hassle for several reasons, I also like my First and Middle name and I'm only changing my surname to separate myself from my family.



Just to make it clear I am changing my surname because I want to separate myself from the family I sincerely hate, probably one of the only things I do. But I am also changing it out of discus for my family and the dislike of the name itself.



But I do have some questions. Right now I'm in the process of applying to NCSU through he transfer program that my school has, which is a guaranteed acceptance if you follow the guidelines, which I am. So is basically is a guarantee I will be attending NCSU for my junior year next fall. So I plan on changing my surname sometime next year. If you have not picked up yet I do live in the State of North Carolina, so I need the laws and regulations for this state. I will be 19 next year if the age matters, even though if I'm correct 18 is the legal age for change. So I have a few questions though. Please try to answer all of the ones you can.



1. How to change my surname?

2. How long will it take in my case?

3. How do I get it changed on things such as lease, SS card, Driver's License, School transcripts and records, etc.?

4. Will my professors continue to refer to by my past surname?

5. If I want to work for a Government Agency later, will this name change ruin my chances of getting certain security clearances? This includes Military too.

6. Do I have to keep some form of name change form for proof? - I would like to change and try to forget and move on from the past?

7. Anything else you have to offer me?





Thanks in advance to all that answer these questions. I would also like to add that I have no problems with the law, credit, past contracts, nothing. So I'm simply trying to change my surname for personal reasons, none business of legal related.
Questions about changing surname legally while I'm in College?
1- You go to the County Clerks office and file some forms basically. You have to get criminal background checks done first, to show that you aren't avoiding any warrants or legal problems. Also bring your ID and birth certificate and apparently they make you post your notice on a courthouse bulletin board for 10 days beforehand?

LAW

http://www.namechangelaw.com/states/nc/n鈥?/a>

INSTRUCTIONS/FORM [for Wake co., for other county look up yr county clerk]

http://web.co.wake.nc.us/courts/namechan鈥?/a>

scroll down to the bottom, to 'Adult Name Change', the RTF file works for me but the doc file didn't. It has basic instructions and form to print out, you can ask the County Clerks office if you have other questions.



2- It looks like it only takes a bit more than 10 days, but could be longer with paperwork/bureaucracy



3/4- After going through the court process you go to SS office and fill out forms, bring your court papers, etc. with you.

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/ssa.鈥?/a>

And go to the DMV, they require the court papers. I'm not sure which is better to do first but you can call either office and they can tell you {meaning ss or dmv?]

Once thats done go to registrar at school[s] and talk to them. You may want to speak to your professors individually for current semester, the next semester you should show up with new name on the records/class lists so it won't be an issue.

Lease- talk to your landlord, I'm not sure sorry.



5- No, it shouldn't. You just need to show them proof of when you did it, don't hide your previous name and make sure you put it on any forms that ask for past names/aliases. As long as a person isn't changing the name to hide or evade criminal charges or similar issues it isn't a problem usually. Plenty of people change their name, most married women do it as a matter of course.



6- I think its a good idea to at least have a copy of your old birth certificate, ss card, license just in case of any issues in the future. I would not throw them away.



7- I changed my name in another state and NC procedures are a little different, so don't take my answer as totally 100% correct sorry. I tried to link to all the sites you'd want to look at so check those to make sure:]

Also just because you change your name does not mean that your old name completely disappears. Thats very difficult nowadays, if not impossible. Its still out there in public records, you can still be found if family tries hard enough, etc. Hope you like having the new name though. Oh also in NC you can only change it once except if you change it back to original name, so make sure you like the new name and are very sure of it:]
  • web hosting servers
  • multiple tables
  •