Wednesday 26 October 2011

How do you buy someone else's domain name?

I'm opening a new office and have obtained a new DBA name for my office and would like to own the domain name that matches my new business name but it's already taken. Although there's a website associated with the domain name, I can tell it's a dead site and hasn't been updated for a few years now. There is a subscription service with the site that I registered for and I sent an email to support to ask if the site was active but did not get an answer. I looked up the domain name owner and sent an email there as well to ask if the domain was active but again, no reply. This is why I believe the domain is inactive BUT, it's registered to this owner until 2012.



I would like to continue to try to contact the domain name owner and see if they would sell the domain name. If they are open to selling it though, I have no idea how I'd take over it. Would it just be a matter of changing the DNS and owner information over to myself or is there more to it than that.
How do you buy someone else's domain name?
You could try placing an offer through Network Solutions or a similar company. You could also try sending snail mail to the owner's address found in the WHOIS search.
How do you buy someone else's domain name?
Go for other extensions.... like .net .org .info .biz