Friday 7 October 2011

Do you think it's really selfish to give your child a name that's made up?

This question doesn%26#039;t include foreigner%26#039;s. It%26#039;s only about American%26#039;s. Even though there are plenty of foreigner%26#039;s and their children with names that are uncommon and doesn%26#039;t find into the typical American name, it goes together. Like %26#039;%26#039;Barack Obama.%26#039;%26#039; You%26#039;d know there%26#039;s a cultural meaning.



What I mean is if someone simply makes up a name. Or uses a name from a jello? Or combines their first name and their spouses? Why don%26#039;t people - especially African-Americans (who are at least 90% of people who do this) realize how selfish this is? They%26#039;re putting their %26#039;%26#039;creativity%26#039;%26#039; ahead of their children%26#039;s success in life? Or all the abuse they%26#039;ll receive as a child?



A person who I know who is a 5th grade teacher said he has a student who%26#039;s name is %26#039;%26#039;Babysister.%26#039;%26#039; That%26#039;s her actual legal name. He said she%26#039;s a really bright girl. She%26#039;s made the honor roll every year. After every report card though, they have a ceremony in the auditorium. The children ridicule her so much that she won%26#039;t go up on stage to have her name announced anymore. How is this girl supposed to be taken seriously in the business world? By the time she%26#039;s legally able to change her name, she%26#039;ll be destroyed.
Do you think it%26#039;s really selfish to give your child a name that%26#039;s made up?
its very selfish..but either people dont realize or dont care how it affects their kids future.its insane! there was a woman on here asking in baby names for our opinion on very made up and ridiculous name,i spoke the truth and told her,it was perfect if her goal was for the girl to have a career at McDonald%26#039;s.she got mad,but alot of these made up names are just horrible!
Do you think it%26#039;s really selfish to give your child a name that%26#039;s made up?
Did you know that every single name in the world was made up by someone?



I know tons of people with what you call %26quot;made up names%26quot; who are now successful people with good jobs and good lives.



and I know plenty of Brittney%26#039;s and amber%26#039;s who work at burger shack.



ADD: for you to sit here and say everyone is being defensive, it%26#039;s amazing at how defensive you are as soon as someone doesn%26#039;t agree with you.



%26quot;They%26#039;re putting their %26#039;%26#039;creativity%26#039;%26#039; ahead of their children%26#039;s success in life? %26quot; Yes you did mention that it will affect their success, who%26#039;s being halfa$$ed now?



I hate when people assume that a lazy a$$ed person named James and a hard worker named chubaka or somthing would walk into an interview together and the lazy a$$ would be considered more because people can%26#039;t get over the others name. You make your own way in life, and you know what if kids in school don%26#039;t like your name and you cry yourself to sleep at night then your just a pu$$y anyway.
Uhh..YEAH...it%26#039;s selfish. First of all, the kid would be teased to death. Does someone really want to have their child commit suicide..cause that%26#039;s one way? Second, who wants to go through all that crap of having to legally change your name. I don%26#039;t see why people can%26#039;t just name their kid a normal name, maybe one they won%26#039;t get teased for.
There are just too many Toms in the world.
Both of my daughters have very traditional names, names that can be broken down into even more traditional nicknames and will work well whether either one becomes a justice on the Supreme Court or president of the United States. Neither one will ever be a star in the NBA, so I guess their names won%26#039;t be a problem.



If you really want to see bizarre names and even more bizarre spellings, just read some of the posts on this board and the names that some people have no compunction about saddling their children with. I pity the child who will be spelling his or her name for the rest of their natural lives.
I don%26#039;t think so. I think it%26#039;s both creative and unique. Whether or not your child is laughed at by it depends on random luck. Where I go to school, you%26#039;re considered unique and %26quot;cool%26quot; to have different names. But I know 5 %26#039;Amanda%26#039;s, and they%26#039;re not going anywhere.



Do what you wanna do, %26#039;kay? But be aware of your last name and first name clashing. I know a dude named %26quot;Harry Butt%26quot;.

No joke.
I don%26#039;t think it%26#039;s so much selfish as it is just plain stupid. As far as your statistics, those aren%26#039;t necessarily true. Part of the reason parents these days give their children weird names is because it%26#039;s a popular celebrity thing to do. As a teacher, I found that race didn%26#039;t really matter.



Parents these days think that in order for their child to be unique they have to give them a completely unique name. They are forgetting that children are born with unique traits and personalities and they will define their own uniqueness through what they do and who they are, not based on their names.



I think it is more important to give a child a good, strong, traditional name. Traditional doesn%26#039;t necessarily mean common. My children all have traditional names that aren%26#039;t very common anymore, mostly because of the new popularity of giving children completely made up names. These traditional names often have a meaning attached to them.



I don%26#039;t really care if my children, Westley, Caleb, Travis and Eliza have dozens of other classmates with their same names running around. They know who they are inside and that is what will make them unique, not their name.



BTW: I was given a unique name that I hated for the longest time. I finally started to like it as an adult, though I still prefer the more common nickname I go by. I hate trying to explain the name to people too. While I appreciate my parents%26#039; attempts at being unique (they actually named me after an ancestor but learned a few years after I was born that the name on the paper they saw was spelled completely wrong), I wish I had been given a name that stood out less.
It%26#039;s cause we black people are more creative. We want our children to be individuals. It%26#039;s not selfish at all. I dare you to walk up to a black person an ask them that. I want my children to be the only one with their name so they fell special. Just cause you can%26#039;t see this doesn%26#039;t mean anything.
I think it is selfish
I agree, made up names are so irritating. That singer, Ciara (pronounced Sierra) annoys me most as an Irish person. The name is pronounced Kira for God%26#039;s sake! And famous people who give their kids ridiculous names like Apple, and Heavenly Hyranus Tiger Lily, can you imagine taking your lawyer, named Apple, seriously?!? I picked old Irish names for my kids, Conor and Eimear (pronounced Ee-mer).



On the other hand, I heard a story of a criminal named something silly like Darling, it wasn%26#039;t his legal name but his mother had called him that for so long that she%26#039;d forgotten his real name. Probably an urban legend, but funny all the same!



Babysister, funny. Sad too. It%26#039;d be fine if she was African and her mother used the actual word for Baby sister in her native language, but not in English. Poor kid. Sometimes I feel parents should be done for child abuse when they bring up ridiculous names like that. Or the registrar should be able to say %26#039;Whoa, just a little too far there, one foot back in the land of the living there...%26#039;
haha! wow... a name doesnt get in the way of someones success and if its a beautiful unique name no one should judge. im tired of all the generic names out there. you call your kid in the park and 8 jessicas turn to look at you. i understand that names given just as a joke shouldnt be alowed though.
The African-American names arnt made up.Their actually African

names,you know?Kiannah,Shaquavia,Shaniesha,LaQuesh鈥?br>


I used to think their names were made up too before I searched for

African names and found out that most of these names actually have meanings (: anyways,I dont think its very selfish unless its something like %26quot;Bethananalie.%26quot;



But thats just me.
There are a lot of made up names lately. I know a Cupcake, a Virginity, a Concrete (boy), a Princess and a Precious (boy!!!), and a Prince, all terrible names.

They%26#039;re laughable. Not to mention names spelled oddly. Like Jane spelled %26quot;jyyne%26quot;, or Mathew %26quot;Mathyou%26quot;

I find it appalling. Poor kids, growing up to be laughing stocks, or condemned to forever correcting the spelling or pronunciation of their names.

I would never do it. I have a common name. My husband has a common name, so do my children. And no one ever stumbles over the spelling or pronunciation, or weather or not the child is a boy or a girl.