Friday 7 October 2011

I work as at a CPA firm. Do you think it would be okay to start my own bookkeeping business on the side?

I have always wanted to have my own business. I came to work as a staff accountant for a CPA firm about 9 months ago and I like my job, but I would really like to have my own bookkeeping business where I can work the hours I want to and not be limited on how much I make.



My problem is I don't want to make my employers mad. I'm afraid that they may not agree with me going out on my own and doing bookwork on the side.



Before I took this job I was thinking about starting a bookkeeping service. My sister-in-law and I were going to do medical billing and bookkeeping. I even ran an ad in the phone book, which by the way I just recently changed the name to %26quot;My last name%26quot; Bookkeeping Service.



I have my own home office in a seperate building here at my home and I have been doing the books for my husbands business for over 6 years now.



I don't want to be sneaky and I don't want this to interfer with my job, but I would love to do this on the side and someday leave my job.
I work as at a CPA firm. Do you think it would be okay to start my own bookkeeping business on the side?
I would just talk to your boss and get a feel for what he/she would think. Just tell them it's something you were considering and see what he/she thinks.
I work as at a CPA firm. Do you think it would be okay to start my own bookkeeping business on the side?
Talk to your boss and be honest, besides that there might not be much more you can do. I work in private accounting and there are several people who have side businesses. However, in your situation, your boss might be worried about you going after clients.