Wednesday 26 October 2011

How do I start a business selling Gems online?

I have gems that go for anywhere from $250 to $20,000. I don't have a lot, but I hope that will change as I travel and collect specimens. My uncle was a jeweler and he has passed down some of his collection to me and I'd like to sell the ones I can. But aside from registering my business name and putting up a website, I don't know any of the accounting requirements? Is there a special bank account jewelers should have? If I sell one of the more expensive gems how much of my sale goes to taxes? Do I need a license if it's an online business? I want to do everything right!
How do I start a business selling Gems online?
Well I'm in the UK but will try to answer some of your questions.



As far as I know you don't need a special bank account to sell gems as it's just another business and accounting would be just the same as any other business. If you need help then your local tax office should be able to advise you or should be able to give you names of accountants or attorneys who can help you.



You keep records of all that you buy and sell over a year and then deduct the buy price from the sell price, then deduct any expenses you have such as travel and equipment (keep a record of those as well) and the final amount (your profit, if any) is what you will be taxed on.



Don't expect people to just find your website you will need to actively promote it. Look at google adwords and adsense to promote it or employ someone to do it for you, you could hire someone off ELance for instance to promote your website for you.



Go to see your uncles former colleagues and pass out flyers and business cards to them (you can make cards and flyers on your computer or use a local print shop). There may be trade shows in your area that they know of that you may be able to sell at. If your uncle is still available then sit down and talk to him and get as much insight into the trade as possible.



If you have rare or unusual stones you might find a local bespoke jewelry maker who could use your stones in their pieces.



Finally don't discount Ebay, there is quite a trade in loose gems on there (or at least there is on the UK site). You should be able to sell some of your cheaper gems on there although at a guess I'd say not more than approx $1000 in value would be best. You can even sell chips and uncut stones if you have any.



Good Luck!
  • migrating existing portal
  • reptiles
  •