Wednesday 26 October 2011

How long do you wait after you're married to ....?

Change your last name?



I have a co-worker who is driving everyone in the office crazy because she got married TWO WEEKS AGO and her business cards still have her maiden name. The person in charge of ordering the business cards told her that they're in the process of changing printing companies so the married girl said, %26quot;Guess I'll have to cross my name off on the ones I currently have%26quot; What's the big deal!? I think she's overreacting. Do you agree?
How long do you wait after you're married to ....?
I think she's being absurd. Sure she is proud to be married and is excited about shouting it to the world... but I think she's being crazy. She needs to focus more on being professional!



I personally would just use both names for now and leave my business cards be till the new ones come in. Nothing looks less professional than someone CROSSING out a name on your business card and writing something in. I would toss that in the garbage if I received it. I would seriously be concerned about the finances of the company if someone did something like that.
How long do you wait after you're married to ....?
It's a personal choice - having that %26quot;status%26quot; means more to some than it does others. She's welcome to add her married name to the ones she has now until new ones come in. Problem solved.
Well, when the legal documentation goes through, then it's done. There is no specific timeline and some people never do it at all. She is correct, she will have to just WAIT until her new cards come in. Heaven forbid the entire world not accommodate her perfectly according to her schedule.
I think she's overreacting a bit. New brides are just all in a hurry to go by their new name. Perhaps she should have put in her order for new business cards a month or so before so she'd be all ready to go. If she wants to sit there and scribble on her cards, that's fine. It's not going to remove the thousands of cards already out there with her maiden name, nor will it prevent those people from using it.