Saturday 24 September 2011

Where to start in regards to changing name officialy after divorce?

Hello. My divorce papers just came through. So, how do I go about getting all my details changed? So many folk to contact. Where did you start? Shall I just start calling/emailing businesses?



Thanks.
Where to start in regards to changing name officialy after divorce?
Easiest place to start is with your passport and driving licence, then banks, utilities etc. More info at the link below:

http://www.ukdp.co.uk/name-change-divorc鈥?/a>
Where to start in regards to changing name officialy after divorce?
It starts with your passport. Change your name on your passport and you have legally changed your name. Simples. Just make sure you remember to change your Bank details along with it because you may get investigated for fraud, whether or not you actually commit it. Two names are a red flag for the Swine.
In my state, i simply petition the court, through my attorney, to change my name. I have to run this notice in the newspaper for a specified period of time under Public Notices, unless this name change is petitioned on base of protection for me in cases of abuse, etc. The only thing I would let you know is that I have talked to a few people about how changing your name can be a huge red flag for other agencies like the IRS, DMV, etc. Since 9/11, name changes came bring unwanted attention to you in all government agencies atleast in my state. Good luck.
OK, if you simply want to revert to your maiden name, then most places will accept a copy of your divorce papers. If they don't then you need to follow one of two other methods. There is the 'deed poll' and 'statutory declaration'.



Where a deed poll is concerned, this means you can change your name to pretty much anything you like. It currently costs 拢33, but if you have children and wish to change their names you must get the consent of your ex-husband and there is additional cost for this service.



The second is something called a 'statutory declaration'. This is a statement that states that you no longer wish to use your current name and that you now wish to be known as your new name. It has to be drawn up in a set format (see my sources about the statutory declaration for more info), and has to be witnessed by either a solicitor or a magistrates court. There may be a small fee for this service, but may be cheaper than a deed poll if you draw it up yourself.



Hope that covers it for you :)