Friday 16 September 2011

How can I find out information on my grandfather's business?

My grandfather passed in 1992 when I was 6 yrs old. He owned an engineering firm, a real estate firm, a construction %26amp; contracting business, a law business, invented some sort of plumbing pump, invented some process of paving interstates...among others. My mom doesn't even know much of her own dad and what all he accomplished. I've tried researching his name and his business name on the net and got current business from all across the nation. His businesses were from 1940-1990s. When he passed they were eventually sold. I don't know how that works, if they keep the business name or change it.



How can I research this information? Is there some special website that I can use? I know I can hire someone to do this for me, but I want to know ways I can do it myself without spending a lot of money. If I get to a dead end, then I would definitely consider spending a good amount to find out this information.



Thanks in advance.
How can I find out information on my grandfather's business?
I am a licensed private investigator and do most of my business research online. First and probably most obvious is to start with Google. Next, call/visit the local courthouse and research business licenses, property taxes, etc. This is usually a wealth of information.



You stated that he had an invention. I would check with www.copyright.gov and check to see if he did in fact have any copyrights. Also, check www.uspto.gov for any patents.



If you need any further help you can contact me through my website at www.isi-pi.com. Good Luck



Kevin Smith

Insight Security %26amp; Investigations, LLC

www.isi-pi.com
How can I find out information on my grandfather's business?
YOU must become an investigator

hit the streets and ask questions interview all family members first , ask them about partners and employees

then interview those people

search public record relevant to the case

it is all there but the net is not where you find it except for records of course
Your family should have been there if the grandfather passed away.



This is why every family show up for the inheritance.



Since your grandfather may not have a will, the government take 50% from it. You and the other will have to claim the rest through the estate court. The estate department are there when the decendent try to claimed something.
Hi Make a telephone call to your local reference Library they do have records of local businesses going back a long way I feel sure they will be able to help you.