Saturday 24 September 2011

Does it matter? how do i fix it?

let me explain. Recently a board of directors that i've hand-picked has been helping me to start a non-profit organization for charity. I have of course met with lawyers for certain aspects of the planning, but the money is coming out of my pocket right now and i cant afford to consult with them for little issues like this. here's the problem: i filed (well mailed) the certificate of incorporation today. about ten minutes back from the post office, it caught my attention that i could register my business name with the secretary of state, however in the state of ohio the name must include inc., incorporated, co., coorporation, etc. In my articles of incorporation i did not include this title. my question is how difficult would it be to to change the name to include inc. now? could i register the name with the secretary to include inc. and worry about changing it on my certificate later?

and if anyone wanted to address if i have to wait for my articles of incorporation to be filed before i mail the ss-4 for an employer identification number i wouldnt mind....

p.s. im only 16. while i expect many people will underestimate the possibility of my success due to this fact, im mentioning it because my resources are limited and im not above taking any help that i can get. any addition information/advice would be much appreciated. thanks!
Does it matter? how do i fix it?
Laws Vary By State



%26quot;it caught my attention that i **could*** register my business name with the secretary of state%26quot;

What do you mean %26quot;could register%26quot;, where did you register it? Your form and register a company at the state level, not the federal.



%26quot;in the state of ohio the name must include inc., incorporated, co., coorporation%26quot;

I think this is true of all states; just as an LLC or LLP must have LLC or LLP in it. Companies sometimes drop it in their dba trademark. Federal Express (or FedEx now) is an example.



%26quot;could i register the name with the secretary to include inc. and worry about changing it on my certificate later?%26quot;

Since laws and procedures can vary by state, call your Secretary of States office and ask. Sometimes if the paperwork isn't correct, the government agency will return it for correction. Or they may just add Incorporated as a matter of course.