Saturday 24 September 2011

Son's name changed to mine?

my boyfriend of 6 1/2 years and the father of my almost 4 yr old is going to fight me on changing my son's last name from his to mine! He does not have that much $$, i do so i can hire a good lawyer if i have too but i do not think he will take it that far since we live together. I live with my dad and daughter, as well. My dad is on my side on this topic. My daughter has my last name, she is almost 12 and wants her brother to have her last name, as well. Me and my daughter's dad are the best of friends still! Anyways, When i got prego with my son, i was against having him from the get go as i did not want another child outta wedlock, i had never been married and wanted too...he promised me up and down we would get married before my son was born,and that he would get divorced i believed him....My mother died very suddenly at age 64 yrs of age five days before my son was born, that was also my mother's wish..i was not in the right state of mind when i signed the birth certificate with my son having his dad's last name, i was devasted from the loss of my mother, we were sooooo close! My daughter's paternal grandparents in boston, have taken my son as their %26quot;own grandchild%26quot; as my boyfriends mom and dad can't stand him as he is a pathological liar. He is still married, but separated for now 7 years to a woman in australia. we live in florida. I also, found out he owes back taxes to the IRS to the tune of at least $20,000 so there is no way i would marry him. He owns his own business(mobile) and still does not charge his customers tax or pay taxes back to this day. He does not pay car insurance! My son has never been in his car due to him always having a suspended license even though, he still continues to drive. He also, is due to go to jail due to being caught yet again, a 3rd time..he will be going to jail in about 2 months for driving under a suspended license and possibly DUI but they are trying to get the DUI thrown out. My dad pays all the bills here. before my dad moved in in may 2009... they bills were constantly late/shut off, i buy 80% of my son's needs..he pays the rent but he is always, at least 15 to 20 days late. I am filing with the court tuesday for a change of name and my boyfriend knows this but does not want to hear about it. My son deserves my last name, i take care of him 7 days a week with hardly any help from his dad. His dad has never seen his pediatrician or his speech therapists..please say i have a chance of getting my son's name changed? will i have to see a judge? how long does this take? thanks for any and all help
Son's name changed to mine?
My son has his father's last name and I tried to get his name changed back to mine. It did not work. In order to change a child's last name, whether the other parent shares custody of the child or not, you need their signature. If your boyfriend is not willing to sign, then you cannot change your son's last name, no matter how much money you have. It would be a waste of time to fight for. The court won't care about why you gave your son your boyfriends last name to begin with.