Wednesday 21 September 2011

My boss doesn't want me to change my name...?

I work on-air in radio. My new husband works the shift after me as an anchor, not just overnight anchor/producer. My boss told me months ago before we got married that it was my business if I switched my on-air name to my new last name.



I get back from the honeymoon and he wants me to keep my maiden name. I told him I am ready to put that part of my life far behind me and do not want association with my maiden name.



He came to our wedding and yes my father was there and pretended the whole proud father role, and while our relationship has improved over the past few years, I am no long a part of him.



I told my boss I intend to honor my marriage and my new last name and USE my new last name. He however thinks it will confuse my listeners... a few have called and congratulated me but so far I don't think anyone has driven off the road.



How do I put my foot down without pi$$ing him off?
My boss doesn't want me to change my name...?
You already told him your intentions. So use your new last name and that's it. This really shouldn't be that much of an issue...
My boss doesn't want me to change my name...?
Go with a hyphenated last name. Like %26quot;Smith-Jones.%26quot; It might sound stupid, but your boss is right that it would confuse the listeners to have the same last name as your co-anchor. He's the boss.
I agree - hyphen your last name. Honestly is apart of show biz.

Like. Did you know that Faith Hill is using her ex husband's last name?

Her 1st hubby's name was Hill. But when she started to become famous, and dumped him she had to keep %26quot;Hill%26quot; because thats what people knew her as.

Your listeners know you as one way.

So by hyphen your last name. Then when you get another position or what ever, drop the maiden name!
Well a name don't make a person, is the person who makes a name.

I mean, if you have the same audience with your changed name and nothing of your rating has changed so far with your married name, I don't think it will be a big deal.

People recognized you by your voice and program, but you can do something involving your boss. Ask him if you can ask to the audience to call you on air and tell you what they think about changing your name. Involve the audience, involve your boss, you can be sure that many people will phone telling that is not your name what they are listening to, but you!

This is a way also (if your boss is worried about it) that people will begin making a relation between your maiden and married name.

Good luck!
Change your name the way you want it. Present it to the boss as a new marketing tool. If most of your listeners know that you and your husband(that works the shift after you) were married or even if they don't, the station can market you as the %26quot;couple of the night%26quot; on the airwaves! You start presenting it to the listeners, on all shows that your still you, just a new name. It's been done so many times, the boss should turn it into something positive for the station. It can be marketed in billboard ads as well as online too!
Stick to your guns, but he's right, it IS going to confuse some of your listeners. I mean, eventually, most of them will finally get it that you got married, but some of them won't!
This is something that is your decision. Your boss shouldn't have an influence on it. Especially considering the history of %26quot;Jackson%26quot; and you wanting to put it behind you.



I'm surprised you use your real name on the radio. Most people don't. Heck, most radio hosts don't even use their real first name. My suggestion is that you maybe only start using your first name... is it a big deal if you don't announce your last name? See what your boss thinks of that.



Congrats on getting married. :)
You should take a poll with your listeners. If people called or e-mailed and said what they think your boss wouldn't be able to argue with your followers. Plus, I really don't think that anyone is going to care. I listen to talk radio and 2 out of the 5 people (both girls) have gotten married since I've been listening and they have their new names. It's totally not a big deal to us and it is to you. You should change it. :)