Wednesday 21 September 2011

How do I update my property deed from corporation to my personal name?

I own some commercial property that is in my corporate business name of Don Schmidt Incorporated and I am now doing business as Don Schmidt. I have never had employees, even when I was incorporated, it has always just been me. Do I even need to update my deed? When I called the tax office, they said changing the name on my deed won't effect my tax bill as it will still be a commercial piece of property? Could I just file a QuitClaim and deed from the corporation to myself or should I just leave it alone?
How do I update my property deed from corporation to my personal name?
If you don't want to create problems for yourself, I suggest you hire an attorney to advise you.
How do I update my property deed from corporation to my personal name?
You do not need to update the deed. YOu still have signing authority. It is especially easy in your case since your name appears in the corporation name. A title company will request a paper showing that you have signing authority.

It won't affect the tax bill. That is controlled by the zoning, not the deed..