Wednesday 21 September 2011

How does one use a stage/screen/pen name?

Hello everyone. Thank you for taking the time to help me.



I am interested in acting professionally and I was considering having a stage/screen name.



My question is this:



What is involved with obtaining and/or using a %26quot;fake%26quot; name. I know some people change their %26quot;real%26quot;/legal names . . . what are the other options?



If I adopt a stage name, would I be changing my legal name? If not, what other legal matters would be involved? Would it be similar to a fictitious business name or D.B.A. (except you being your business)?



I appreciate any help. Thank you.



Robert
How does one use a stage/screen/pen name?
I don't think you would be changing your legal name, take Maynard James Keenan for example. His real name is James, but he received the nickname Maynard during his tenure in the military before joining Tool. Plus I use a pseudonym sometimes (but it will not be mentioned at this time). The name you choose sticks with you when you make a name for yourself doing your craft.