Saturday 4 June 2011

How can I legally change my business name?

I have a business, it%26#039;s a sole proprietor. I want to change the name of my business because when I first picked the name it was before we started actually doing business. Now that we are in business I need to change the name. How can I do so? Because I have been using the name that I want as %26quot;DBA%26quot; (Doing Business As). Can someone help.|||Since you are a sole proprietor, there is really nothing to do but change your name! If you were a LLP, RLLP, LLC or INC, there would be plenty to do. As a SP or a GP you are personally liable for a business debts and liabilities. Aside from putting a new DBA or TA on a checking account and advising your contacts, you would need to update your business license and sales and use tax ID if you have one. Unless you have employees, or are a GP etc., you probably don%26#039;t have an EIN, so that wouldn%26#039;t be an issue. May suggest you consider creating an LLC? A good book on the subject is %26quot;LLC or Corporation?%26quot; by Anthony Mancuso, a NOLO publication. You can find it on Amazon too.|||So, is the old name plastered all over the place? Do you have stacks of business cards and stationary? Do you have a formal telephone listing under the old name?





Regardless (There is no such word as irregardless), one major benefit of the DBA form of business is its simplicity. You just have new signs, business cards, etc., printed up with the new name. It is as simple as that. On your schedule C, report the new name when you file your next return.





Don%26#039;t make it more complicated than it needs to be. Make the change as necessary, then go out and make more money!|||www.legalzoom.com


But I%26#039;m not sure how much they charge.





Check with the Office of State Comptroller in your state and see if they can send you the proper forms for a DBA(Doing Business As).