Saturday 4 June 2011

Do men ever change their last name to their newly wed wife's last name?

And how come women have to change their last name to their newly wed husband%26#039;s last name? Is it like in the olden days when they believed that men owned their women and women were just considered their property? I know some wedded couples who didn%26#039;t change any of their names, but their children%26#039;s last name still falls under the father. It takes two to tango, so why not have the child take the mother%26#039;s name? What%26#039;s with all this name changing business anyway?





I%26#039;d change my last name to my wife%26#039;s last name if I get married, only because my last name is too damn hard to pronounce and it sounds nothing like it%26#039;s spelled. It would make it a whole lot easier on myself, haha.|||Yes, men that have balls to not care what other people think do it.|||Yes, in some countries it is traditional for each spouse to pick up part of their spouse%26#039;s name.


Two (married) noble prize winners:


Frederick Joliet-Curie


Marie Curie-Joliet





A girl I knew in high school still goes by her maiden name, even in the phone book, and public appearances.





If you are concerned about legalities, contact an attorney.|||Not that I know of. Women don%26#039;t have to change their names. I didn%26#039;t. About a child carrying the father%26#039;s last name. It%26#039;s just the way it%26#039;s done. My child has her father%26#039;s last name. And I wouldn%26#039;t want her to have my last name. That would be like saying the father refused to recognize her. And I am not the kind of woman who would tolerate such a thing.|||In a patriarchal society (like ours), marriage would mean that the bride is getting into the family of the groom. It%26#039;s not the other way around.





Hence, the newly-wedded wife is expected to use the surname of her husband as an indication that she is submitting herself into the family of her husband. The children would also use the surname of their father to indicate that they belong to his family.